As part of Operation Weight Loss I have been looking for tasty healthy recipes that will make me feel like I am having a really nice tea but without the damage to the waist line.
I came up with this tasty and healthy Burgers and chips recipe the other night, serves 4.
What you need:
500g of extra lean beef mince
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
2 teaspoons of mixed italian herbs
4 small burger buns
4 tblsp of very low fat mayonnaise (I use Hellmans extra light)
4 slices of chedder cheese
4 lettuce leaves
4 slices of tomato
4 medium baking potatoes
Fry Light cooking spray
Salt and pepper to season
How to make them:
– Start by cutting your potatoes into chip/wedge shapes and soak them in water for 1/2 hour. Pre-heat your oven to 200degrees C.
– After 1/2 hour drain your chips and blot gently with kitchen roll, then spray a baking tray very lightly with Fry Light and spread the chips out into one layer. The lightly spray the chips and sprinkle with salt. Pop into the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
– Chop/crush the garlic and put into a large mixing bowl along with the chill and herbs, add the mince and mix well, then season with salt and pepper.
– Shape the mince into balls and flatten into a burger shape.
– I cooked my burgers in my Salter Health Grill at 200degrees (great because it drains all fat away) but you can also use a normal grill too. In a health grill they take around 4 minutes to cook through and under the normal grill allow about 3.5 minutes per side on high. At the end of the cooking time the burgers should be cooked through.
– Next add a slice of cheese and pop briefly under the grill again to melt it. Also pop your sliced burger buns under the grill to lightly toast them.
– Once toasted spread one side of the burger bun with some mayo and then layer the lettuce, tomato and burger onto the bun.
– Serve with the chips!
A nice tasty treat and a lot healthier than a takeaway but with all the flavour!